Saturday, December 17, 2005

Reflections on Christmas

Yikes, has it already been a week since I've posted? I will get my camera down to the computer soon and post pictures from our trip up to see the Gingerbread Houses at the Winter Quarters Trail Center.

I am excited that my friend Holly tagged me with these Christmas questions- it is always fun to do a little reflecting over how you feel.

Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog? If I had to choose one, Egg Nog. Wouldn't be Christmas without it!

Does Santa wrap the presents or just set them under the tree? Santa usually brings the bigger stuff so we don't have to wrap it.

Colored or white lights on the tree/house? Jameson is always complaining about the lack of color when we put up lights. So this year we went out on a limb and changed out every other white bulb for a red one on our house. We still have just white lights on our Christmas tree.

Do you hang mistletoe? We used to when I lived with my parents. But I am not sure what happened to the fake ball of mistletoe.

When do you decorate? We almost always decorate for the first Family Home Evening after Thanksgiving, which is always Sunday or Monday at our house.

What is your favorite holiday dish? Another dish it just wouldn't be Christmas without, is Broken Glass. It is Christmas colored jello cubed and mixed with cool whip, in a graham cracker crust, yum!

Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I think it was putting up the tree each year. I loved looking through the ornaments then, almost as much as I do now. One year my Mom made little teddy bear ornaments for us all out of clay. I remember they were really fragile, but so very cute!

How and when did you learn the truth about Santa? Whachyou talkin' bout, Willis? Ok, so I have thought a lot about this and I don't really remember believing or disbelieving in Santa all that much.

Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve? Yep, we always have the kids open their new Christmas jammies!

What kind of cookies do you set out for Santa on Christmas Eve? Sadly enough, the past two years, it has been store bought bake your own, you know the kind with snowmen or reindeer in them. Well, Santa expressed that the kind we put out last year, with the edible sticker, weren't ever to be left again.

Snow! Love it or hate it? I like snow just fine if I don't have to go any where. Definitely love a white Christmas too!

Can you ice skate? We used to skate all the time on the pond in the park behind our house. But I remember going once in Provo at 7 peaks, and man, did my ankles kill after just a short time of skating. So sadly, probably not very well anymore.

Do you remember your favorite gift? Maybe not my necessarily favorite gifts- but some memorable ones were, a Mork & Mindy board game, Strawberry Shortcake bathrobes and the year the rubik's cube came out. I am pretty sure, it wasn't my gift, but we all had a lot of fun with it. I think my favorite now, is watching other people open gifts I am giving them. I could do that all day.

What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? While subbing in 4th grade this week, we watched the original Dr. Seuss' Grinch cartoon and talked about how you can't really steal Christmas because it is what is in your heart that makes Christmas special. And truly in my heart, I know it isn't about presents or decorations, but it is all about a tiny baby who came into the world more than 2000 years ago and set the perfect example for us. She Daisy sings a song about the Secret of Christmas is not all the things we do at Christmas time, but the Christmas things we do all year round and I love that.

What’s your favorite holiday dessert? Warm rice pudding with meringue on top.

What’s your favorite holiday tradition? Besides decorating the tree and drinking eggnog when we are done, I love delivering goodie plates to our neighbors and friends.

What type of tree? Artificial. I would love to get a larger pre-lit one for our living room upstairs.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? While it is always fun to get presents, I definitely enjoy seeing other people open gifts that I have put time and love into preparing or picking out for them.

What is your favorite Christmas Carol? Traditionally it is O Holy Night, but another close favorite is Mary, Did You Know, preferably sung by Donny Osmond.

Candy Canes, YUCK or YUM?If they are stirred in to hot chocolate, then yum. But I can't really remember the last candy cane I just ate plain.

I guess it is my turn to tag someone else- hopefully April and Marilyn are reading this.

3 comments:

April said...

Fun answers Kristi! And of course I'm reading!

Becky said...

Love your answers, Kristi!

Amy B. said...

good answers. fun poll. I think I have to agree with you on the egg nog. Hot Chocolate says winter, but egg nog says Christmas.