Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday

Here is a more positive post for the day. I love reading all the great tips at Works for Me Wednesday.

My tip this week is if you are hankering for pizza and don't want to shell out the dough(pun intended, lol) for takeout or don't want to take the time to make your own crust use one of these substitutes:

*pocketless pita bread works great for mini pizzas

*bagels- why spend the $$ on store bought bagel bites when they are so easy to make

*tortillas- I especially like the multigrain variety- just adds a little nuttiness to the crust

I bake mine on a stone which helps crisp up the crust, but if you don't have one, you could always spray the baking sheet with a little non-stick cooking spray or even brush it with olive oil.

The other night I made this:


Mexican Chicken Pizza
4 chicken breasts, shredded
1 small can rotel, drained or 1 cup salsa
1/2 c. sour cream

Mix all together and spread evenly on 4 tortillas. Sprinkle generously with your favorite cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. If the cheese is not yet bubbly and brown, turn on the broiler for a minute or two to finish it off.

Don't forget to check out Rocks in My Dryer for more great tips!

6 comments:

Alexandra said...

Thanks for the ideas! I've been experimenting with making pizza crust from scratch...the tortilla crust sounds like an easier alternative.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I have often used bagels to make pizzas, but I had never thought to use tortillas. Thanks for the tip!

Amy said...

This would make a great lunch for the kiddos. Thanks for the idea!

Becky said...

Mmmmm...sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing that recipe...simple, quick, and yummy! Perfect!!!

Nikki said...

Tasty tips! I love all the different options.

Marcia said...

Cool tip. I've used pita pockets before. I got the idea from the Weigh-less pizza bases as they are the same size as wholewheat pita pockets