Monday, December 17, 2007

Days 3, 4 & 5

Day 3
The weather did not cooperate. The plan was to drive around Lincoln looking at the lights Troy put up, with a thermos full of hot chocolate and our jammies, but it was too icy. We have to be up in Lincoln on Thursday night, so now we are hoping to fit it in our schedule that day.


Day 4
Activities for a quiet Sunday afternoon.


That evening since Troy had a meeting at church, the kids and I worked on our spritz cookies. The first sheet of cookies pressed out perfectly, but then it all went downhill from there. I remember now why it has been 3 years since I touched that particular kitchen aid. Needless to say, I did not get the 12 dozen cookies the recipe professed it would make.



Day 5
Jameson was a few minutes early for basketball practice today, so we drove out to get a better view of this winter sunset.



Troy read us this story while we sampled a few of the cookies I made to finish up the neighborhood gifts. It is one of my favorite recipes to make at Christmas time.



Becky's Dipped Gingersnaps
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

additional sugar
2 packages vanilla baking chips
1/4 c. shortening
(I actually just use vanilla almond bark and it works perfectly!)

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil, mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched lightly. Do not overbake. Remove to wire racks to cool. Melt chips with shortening in a small saucepan over low heat. Dip the cookies halfway; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper to harden.

2 comments:

amber said...

I talked to my sister and I'll be heading down to your neck of the woods after I drop Sam off at school. I'll give you a call from the road! (I'll need to start home at about 11:30 or so.) HOORAY!

beckbot said...

Those look gooooood! I'll have to try them -- I even have almond bark in the back of the pantry.