Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Square Foot Garden 2009

Just wanted to share some pictures of my garden this year. Last year we made some plans to do raised beds, but never got a round to doing it. One date night Troy and I were at Barnes and Noble and I found a book about square foot gardening and we decided to give it a try.

It was a lot of initial work, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Troy made six 4X4 boxes, six 2X4 boxes and we bought lattice for making the grids for the top.

Troy and Jameson putting weed cloth and cardboard in the bottom of the boxes.

The soil mix is a made up on compost, peat moss and vermiculite.

Connor and I making the mix. Later I decided it was easier to mix it all in the boxes.

My first watering system- drip hoses. I wasn't happy with how it didn't get the whole square wet.


Here's the garden this week- click on the pictures to see them larger

Not sure if something is eating my seeds I am trying to plant in the lower quadrant, I have another butternut squash plant I will probably put in that spot


Herb Garden- Lots of dill for pickles this year, hopefully the marigolds will help keep the pests away


Beans, Peppers, Onions, & Cucumbers. We put up a grid for the cucumbers to grow on.


More beans, zuchinni, celery, another pepper, kohlrabi and pole beans


This was supposed to be the strawberry bed, but I had trouble finding strawberries, so next year I'll finish planting the rest of it


Lettuces & broccoli


The tomato boxes- you can probably tell these are deeper than the 4X4 boxes. You can also see my watering system, which I think covers much better. I have it set up on a timer for 15 minutes a day. Much better than the hour or more I had to do with the soaker hoses.

One of the benefits of using this system is less wedding. I did have about an hour of weeding to do after being gone for 10 days, but I think some of my compost might have had some weed seeds in it. Since then, I can spend less than 5 minutes a day and get it completely weedless.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I've heard great things about this system... I'm curious to see how it works out for you - looks like so far, so good. Less weeding alone makes it worthwhile, I think. I spend about 1/2 an hour a day weeding my garden...

awesome!