Monday, June 26, 2006

I have been planting tomatoes in my garden for at least a decade now. I started long before I appreciated the difference between red, ripe homegrown variety and the pink, dull impostors that you get at the store. Back then I only planted tomatoes as a means to making spaghetti or pizza sauce. Now I must plant them, because you just can't enjoy a blt with the t's from the store.

Another reason I love having a garden full of tomatoes is so I can make Fried Green Tomatoes. I dip the green ones in a flour/salt & pepper mixture and fry them in a tiny bit of olive oil and then eat them with ranch dressing. I was so excited to be able to pull a few small green tomatoes from the garden the other night.
It won't be long now and our salads, tacos, sandwiches and burgers will taste so much better with the juicy red tomatoes that only summer can bring. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Holly said...

Mmmm...those look good! I've never had fried green tomatoes!