Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Fleas

In the past 24 hours these calamaties have occured: we hit a racoon and damaged the bumper on our car, we got a notice saying we are being sued by a collection agency, I got a toilet bowl scrubber stuck in the toilet and had to physically remove it with my hands (eww!!), and I got a note from Connor's teacher saying he isn't working hard at school lately. It has been quite the day!

And while I have been frustrated over these situations, lmy perspective has been altered because last night I finished reading the Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. What an incredible book! I was so moved by the attitude that this wonderful family had in the midst of heartache and horror. This true story takes place during the Holucast. Corrie and her older sister Betsie are sent to a concentration camp. Betsie looks at the SS guards and squabbling women around her not as enemies but those with whom she can share God's love. She looks at her flea infested living quarters as a blessing instead of a burden and thanks Heavenly Father for them. It turns out that the fleas kept the guards away and made it possible for her and Corrie to freely read from the Bible and uplift those around them.

I admit that I have yet to thank my Heavenly Father for these experiences of the last day. I do know that I should. I do know that while my day hasn't been the greatest- it could have been much worse. I do know that I have so many rich blessings in my life. I do not think it was a coincindence that I read this book prior to the events of this day. I am grateful for the story of the fleas and the influence it has had on my attitude.

Elder Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God … and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven”

No comments: