Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Feels like Christmas

They have been playing Christmas music on 106.3 since October 15th. I made my first Christmas purchase on my sorority shopping trip on November5th. Troy and I have been hanging Christmas lights together since November 7th. Despite the early start to our Christmas season this year, it just hasn't felt like Christmas until Sunday, when we got our tree up.

Oh sure, there is always the standard fighting with the lights. You would think after working with lights for several weeks, we would be pros, but we still have our share of tangles and sets with sections that just won't light up. This year we realized we had forgotten to get eggnog, which is traditionally drunk at our house after decorating the tree. But regardless of the mishaps that sometimes go with the process, I think that putting our tree up is one of my favorite parts of the whole Christmas season.

I love searching through the box of ornaments. It is such a walk down memory lane. Each year I buy the kids a new photo ornament and it is amazing to see how much they change in even one year's time.

I also love the quiet moments that we enjoy after turning all the lights down, when we sit back and see how the tree has turned out for the year. I don't know how it happens- but each year the tree gets more beautiful, despite the fact that we really haven't acquired any more ornaments and it is the same artificial tree that we had in previous years. I love the whole idea behind the tree- the symbolism of everlasting life that our Savior provides for us. To me, it also represents the memories of so many happy Christmases that have past, as well as the hope of many more to come. I hope I never get to the point in my life where I don't want to have a tree because without one I am not sure it would really ever feel like Christmas. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lorilee said...

Wow!!! That picture is gorgeous. I totally agree with you that I can't imagine Christmas without a tree. It just wouldn't be the same. Love you!

April said...

Aw, great post. Beautiful picture. I can't wait to get my tree up - they really are such a wonderful part of Christmas.

Holly said...

Beautiful tree, KB!! I agree, my favorite time too is turning down the lights and just admiring the lighted, decorated tree! Something peaceful and reflective about doing that! :o)