Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hot and Cold

It's still pretty darn cold here in Nebraska. We woke up to several inches of snow last Friday and 10 below zero windchills. It is supposed to warm up this week and be in the 50's, so I'm sure that means my kids will have their shorts out and be begging to wear them outside.


Despite the freezing temperatures last week I started a kitchen compost pile and got tomtatoes, broccoli and a couple varieties of lettuce going. I can't wait to get out and get working in my soil.



I know warm weather will be welcome around here too, because for the past month, for the first time in my married life, I've started turning down the thermostat. I'm not sure why I never did this before, but it started with turning the heat down at night. Since we got used to that with the help of our flannel sheets, I've been slowly inching our daytime temperatures down more as well. My kids all love their stocking hats and we've learned that sweatshirts, robes and a good pair of warm socks really make a difference.

Our favorite new thing is the rice bag that I made last week. My friend Kathy was telling me she uses one every night to warm up her feet when she goes to bed and then I saw Blair's tutorial and knew I had to make one. It has been a huge hit! It was so easy to make, I made 2 in about 30 minutes. Now at night we heat it up for about 3 minutes in the microwave and our feet stay toasty warm.


My only recommendation is that mung beans are not a good filler- because they are really stinky when heated up. The second bag I made with just rice and I think it is much better. Connor doesn't like the smell of either one of them and wants me to make one all of his own so he can spray Axe on his, heaven help us! I'm thinking some crushed lavendar might be a better addition to the rice.

It did get up to the mid 40's yesterday. Perfect ice cream weather, no? Josh didn't think so, but it was still delicious and the company was wonderful!



8 comments:

Jada2929 said...

Try rinsing your rice and then letting it dry overnight. It won't smell(or won't smell as strong!)

Marisa said...

A warm up is coming-hurray. 64 tomorrow, hide the shorts while you still can. We keep our house cool as well, you can always add an extra layer. It's the summer we have a hard time with, we can't seem to get it cool enough to fit our energy budget :-).

Carin said...

We have a garden growing in our storage room too. Can't wait for Spring! You are so cute with your ice cream!

Amber M. said...

Thanks for yesterday...we sure had a blast.

Cheryl H. said...

I use cherry pits in mine. You can then freeze them for hot days or heat them for cold days. They are great around your neck as well!

Kristi said...

Okay, you amaze me. I've changed my mind, I don't you to be my neighbor, I would feel like a horrible under-achiever. ;) You are so cute, and don't look a day older than last time I saw you. :)

Lorilee said...

Mmm and brrr yummy ice cream. It was great talking to you the other day.

beckbot said...

My friend made a warming pillow out of feed corn, and I actually love the smell... kind of like corn bread.