Saturday, January 03, 2009

Ringing in the New Year

We were happy to ring in 2009 down in Kansas with my sister, Lorilee. We had such a fun couple of days together. The kids had a ball playing together, Troy & Mark watched lots of football, and Lor & I cooked, shopped, sewed and had a great time together.

Jameson & Ashlyn

Our 1 hour aprons that we whipped out in 4 hours.

Going out to eat one night

Homemade pizza

Mo, first class traveler


We decided to try and come up with some activities for New Year's Eve for the kids that didn't involve the computer or Wii. We hit up the Dollar store and made up a bag for them to ring in each hour leading up to midnight. Inside the sacks were pop rocks, silly straws, sour straws, glow sticks, and those toys that grow in water. At 11:55 we had them open a bag with their blower, party hat and popper inside. We also had the kids decorate with glitter glue plastic champage glasses for our sparkling cider toast at midnight. After getting everything ready for the night, we were pretty exhausted and decided against a few of the activities we had planned. However, we did play the Candy Bar game, yahtzee and hangman. Genna and Ethan didn't quite make it till midnight. We laughed all the way through our New Year's toast. It really was a fun night and we were so happy to be with each other.


New Year's Day we traveled home just in time to go over to Tiffany's house for another Christmas get together. All of Troy's Dad's siblings(except his brother Denny who is currently on a mission) gathered together. There was lots of good food, fun games & a sweet Nebraska victory!


Wishing you a joyous 2009!

10 comments:

Andrea said...

That's a great idea- with the bags and activities. Love it! I'll have to remember that one.
I love all your ideas.
And the aprons are cute!

Amy said...

Love your bag of activities! What a great way to ring in the new year. I was at the gym working out at midnight. Wild night! Woo hoo! Also, love the aprons. Did you use a pattern, or just make it by visualizing it? I am guessing the second. You are very crafty!

No, I did not get a 365 kit. The phone line was constantly busy and the online was down. My girl scout co-leader thinks she ordered four, so I am hoping it's true and I can get one of hers. If not, I'll wait until mid-March to get mine. I am still keeping on the one picture and journaling in a notebook. That's not hard to keep up on...not until I go back to teaching on Monday....anyway!

Kristi said...

How fun to have a sister and a friend in the same person. Always a good thing.

Love your cute ideas for ringing in the new year. I think you could publish your own version of family fun magazine. Seriously. TFS!

At Home In Georgia said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that apron you made!! Good job.

Cute new blog too.

Happy 2009

Drewmeister said...

Love the aprons! And so sweet that Nebraska pulled out the victory!

JJ said...

It was great talking to you on New Year's Day. It sounds like you guys had a ton of fun in Kansas City. I love the bag idea. How fun to open a bag on each hour.

Linda said...

How fun, so sad I wasn't there. Go Big Red!!

Love your other sister!

Amber M. said...

Looks like so much FUN! And now I want a cool 4-hour-apron!

No, I ahven't picked up the Hoosier hutch yet. I made the trip down there and he was closed that day. Hmmm. Hopefully this week. My kids are back to school today...and Sam turns 8 tomorrow.
Missing you!

beckbot said...

Loving the 4-hour 1-hour aprons! They are gorgeous, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't finish projects like that in the recommended time allotment.

Lorilee said...

We had a blast with you guys here and are so grateful you could come!! I hate those pictures of me though. ;)