Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Golden Valentine's Day


When I was younger, I never knew about the Golden Birthday thing- you know when your actual birthdate and age coincide. My 18th birthday came and went without me giving that notion a second thought. So this year, I taking it upon myself to commemorate our Golden Valentine Day.

It was 14 years ago that we shared our first Valentine's Day together. We were so young then. Only a year and a half had passed since my golden birthday. We were both working at Nebraska Book Company in Lincoln, trying to save up money for our wedding and honeymoon. I was living at home and Troy was staying at his Aunt's house. I wanted to do something special since we hadn't had much of a Christmas- being the broke college students that we were. I decided to make Troy dinner. I made grilled marinated chicken, parmesan potato wedges and dirt cup dessert for dinner. I made the dirt cup stuff in an old ice cream pail and had Troy go get it out of the garage. I don't think I fooled him too much. Anyway, I am not sure the food tasted real great, but it night will always stand out in my mind. It is funny to think of how at 19 years old I thought I loved this man, compared to how I know I love him now. In the past 14 years we have shared so much- there have been tears and laughter, joys and sorrows. We have welcomed 3 beautiful children into our family. I know that I truly loved Troy that night 14 years ago, but I am so thankful for the richness and depth that our love has grown to today.

The only I am not sure of in celebrating our golden valentine's day is where do we go from here? As far as wedding anniveraries go, Golden is for your 50th. The Hallmark website says that after Golden, comes Emerald for your 55th and 60th is Diamond. Hmmm... I think I like the sound of that. Happy Valentine's Day to you all!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Holly said...

What a fun memory!! Hope you guys had a great day! :o)

AmyG said...

loved this post. :) so true about realizing more what love is the older you get and the more experiences that you share together.

btw, your hair is so pretty!