Saturday, February 23, 2008

Conserving instead of Consuming

So yesterday, in a comatose stupor, Troy remembered that Jameson's rock tumbler needed to be checked. He proceeded to do this in a strainer over the garbage disposal. We're not sure what happened, but all of the sudden our disposal was sounding very broken. He messed with it a bit, but was feeling so yucky, he just advised me to not use that side of the sink until he could get a better look at it.

I've been trying to cook everything from scratch lately and that means a lot of dishes. And it wasn't fun just using one side of the sink. So tonight, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I did a search on the internet and found a couple of videos showing me exactly what to do to fix it. So I got out my allen wrench, turned off the breaker and went to work. It was so empowering to be able to fix it myself. Normally, I leave all that handiwork stuff up to Troy. Best of all, we didn't have to go out and buy a new disposal.

I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking lately about trying to be more of a conserver instead of a consoumer. We've become to so used to disposable everything, that when something breaks we just get a new one, and trash the old one. The Story of Stuff is one of the things that really has made me stop and think. It is a very thought provoking video- it takes about 20 minutes, but I think you'll be glad you took the time to watch it.

9 comments:

Kristi said...

Good for you, I am totally impressed! And, I love that you are so environmentally conscious. We could all re-use, and make do more often. Great reminder. Enjoy the weekend!

Cheryl said...

It was an empowering weekend! We thought that our door knob was going to need to be replaced, because the latch wouldn't go back in so you could open the door. I decided to try WD-40 in all of the mechanisms, because it couldn't hurt. IT WORKED!

Now if we could just make wooden pinewood derby cars into Wii controllers :)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am very impressed with your handiwork! I think we all need to learn how to conserve more and how to be more self reliant. Thanks for the gentle push :) !!

The Frosts said...

Good job fixing your drain. That is truly impressive. I'll have to watch the video, we are trying to reuse more and consume less overall too.

Kristi said...

I'm so glad you like my big fruit, so I won't have to waste it. ;) Seriously, thanks for you comment. I think they are cool too, but it's nice to know someone else agrees. :)

Kassie said...

By necessity, we have had to learn this outlook on 'stuff'. For so many years, $$ was so tight that we really had to make do and fix everything. Now that $$ is not so tight, I find that I still can't pay full price for anything and most likely will just repair whatever needed to be replaced, ie; cars, appliances, etc.
Probably not such a bad thing in the long run, anyway!

Carin said...

Good for you! Woman power! I am proud of you.

Leah Pobanz said...

Way to go handy woman! I love your blog!

Lorilee said...

Okay, first time i can look and respond without a baby in my arms. I am so totally impressed with your ability to fix it. I should have had you fix mine! J/K. It does seem as thought we live in a throw a way society. Pretty sad. It seems like things aren't made to last like they used to be as well. Love ya!