Monday, February 04, 2008

Homemade Pizza: A new tradition

My kids were telling me the other day that they liked it when we made homemade pizza. I also have my own wonderful memories of helping to make pizza when I was growing up. So we decided to make it our new tradition- if we are all home on Friday night- homemade pizza is on the menu.

I have a couple great recipes for dough and I thought I'd share them here.

The first one I got from my Mom.

Pizza Dough
Dissolve 1 TBSP yeast in 1/4 c. water
Let stand a few minutes till foamy

Mix 1 TBSP sugar
1 TSP salt
1 TBSP oil
Add to 1 c. warm water ( if using canned mushrooms, you can add the liquid to the water)

Add yeast mixture and stir
Add 1 1/2 c. flour and beat well
Slowly add 1 1/2 c. more flour till it is the right consistency. Knead a few minutes on a floured surface.
(I actually use a Bosch mixer for this recipe)

Let rise in a warm place for 10 minutes. Top and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Check the bottom before you remove from oven.

Makes 2 thin crust pizzas.


Tightwad Gazette Thick and Chewy Pizza Crust
( I used this one on Friday)
1/2 to 3/4 c. warm water
1 TBSP dry yeast
1 TSP sugar
2 cups Flour
1 TBSP oil
1/2 TSP salt

Combine 1/4 cup water, yeast and sugar in a measuring cup. Stir to dissolve and let stand until bubbly.

Put flour, oil and salt into a food processor. Process until oil is mixed in. (You might need to scrape the sides, as mine always likes to collect there.)

Add yeast mixture and process until blended.

Turn on processor and drizzle just enough water until the dough forms a ball that cleans the sides of the bowl. Process about 25 turns.

Put dough on greased cookie sheet, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Roll out on cookie sheets and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes. (I doubled this recipe on Friday and got 5 decent sized mini pizzas and 1 large pizza on a pampered chef rectangular stone.)

The kids really like to do their own mini pizzas. Of course, I go to the trouble of having lots of toppings and they just pick the cheese. Jameson and his friend Derek put a couple token pepperoni's- I think just to make me feel better. Genna wanted to bake hers without cheese or anything, she thought it looked yummy with just the sauce.






Troy and I did make ours with all the fixin's! That's chef boyardee pizza sauce, lean ground turkey sausage, lean deli ham, black olives, mushrooms(yes, from a can- because that's how we had them growing up!), turkey pepperoni and part skim mozzarella cheese. Of course, I could have made wheat crust- but it was my free day and I am hoarding my wheat flour for Body For Life recipes, until I can grind some more.

We had a great evening hanging out together, eating pizza and watching a super cute movie from our Netflix.

3 comments:

Amber M. said...

Hello YUMMY recipe! Can't wait to try this. The kids will love to make their own pizzas.

Andrea said...

We sure love our homemade pizza too. I'll have to try your recipe. Thanks! I usually would make my dough with my bread recipe, but it takes too long to rise. So yours look good.
And I'm all for having it every Friday.

Freer Family said...

What a fun family tradition! We like doing homemade pizzas too. Thanks for the recipes! :)