Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kids!

Every year at Christmas my friends, Cheryl, Tami and I get together to exchange presents and sit down and catch up with each other. It was my turn to have everyone over and so we set the date for last Tuesday when the kids didn't have any school.

My children had strict instructions to stay downstairs and keep themselves occupied. Connor ended up having a few friends over. They brought the puppy inside and inevitably he would come up and visit- sometimes bearing gifts- like pizza crust that he'd found on the floor. Then four boys would follow after him and try to persuade Mo to go back downstairs to play.

Meanwhile, Genna was having a hard time not getting in on the girl time, despite the fact that she was sitting as close as possible to us, on the steps, playing with toys. She eventually made her way into the room and into the conversation.

I was mentioning how she'd been struggling a little bit at school with being silly and getting her work done in a timely manner. I also shared how on her birthday, mysteriously every single one of the presents she was waiting to open, got a small hole in the corner.

Because of the peeking and the troubles at school, we decided to have her earn back a few of her presents. She did work hard at school the next week and so she was able to open a set of markers. I told my friends how the last present was a pair of pajamas and she knew it, so I didn't think she was working very hard to earn that one back. However, the day before at school, her teacher shared with me how she was really doing a much better job and trying to be a leader instead of a follower. So while we were sitting there visiting about this situation, she ran up and grabbed the present to show them. I decided to let her open it, and secretly hoping to buy some time if she went to try on the new pajamas.

She opened them and was so excited about her new cheetah pajamas. Before modeling them for us, she ran upstairs and brought down Mommy's "cheetah pants". It's probably one of those things that you had to be there for, but it was just so funny. I had tears coming out of my eyes, I was laughing so hard. I certainly never referred to those pajamas as my cheetah pants. Besides, in our conversation that day, there had a been a few moments where we were all teary eyed, so it definitely felt good to laugh so hard we cried.



Later on she did put on her own pajamas and is totally loving them. Last weekend I caught her wearing them under clothes. Silly girl!


Life certainly is not dull with children around.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

oh that is so true.
funny.

Kristi said...

gosh, she looks so big all of a sudden! Cute girl.

Lorilee said...

She is so cute!! I love her thinking.

At Home In Georgia said...

Love the girls pj's!