Monday, February 12, 2007

SMART Habit

I know, I am WAY late in posting this time. It was another busy weekend. Saturday consisted of 5 basketball games, Worldwide Leadership Training and cake decorating for the 4th grade cake raffle. Sunday, I went to Marysville, Kansas for a Branch Conference. I have been going to church all my life, but it was quite different from what I am used to. They meet in a ranch style house. You could not just slip in the back, when you were late because you made a wrong turn. There were 8 primary children there- 2 of which were visitors. Their small branch is made up of mostly converts over the age of 60, as well as, 2 families who recently moved in, with primary aged children. We went on a visit afterwards to a Spanish family, who lives 35 miles away from the church building. Despite all the differences from my personal experience, I was SO incredibly touched by the Spirit and the love I felt from and for these members there. I can't wait to go back. It was however, a very long day. I left the house at 8:00 and got home after 5:00. I was able to catch a short little nap and then we went over to the IL's for some yummy homemade pizza and warm chocolate cake.




On to my SMART goal. I am happy to report that I was finally able to make some
progress on my goal of getting to bed by 11:00. The only night I missed was Friday night and that was because we were just getting home from our date at 11:30 and putting the kids in their beds. But it has felt great to get bed at a decent hour. I will eventually work up to getting up early to exercise every morning before scriptures, but for now when it is so cold out, I will be happy with my progress of getting to bed at a decent hour.

And my desk was kept cleared off, all but one night, as well. But I was in the middle of a valentine project and finished it up the next afternoon and cleaned it off then.

This week I would like to work on going to bed with a completely picked up house. My kitchen is almost always clean when I go to bed, but sometimes, I am just too tired to pick up Connor's shoes that he left downstairs or Genna's socks that she took off by the computer or Jameson's backpack he left in the kitchen after he finished up homework, etc. In doing this, when I give my 10 minute bedtime warning, I will remind the kids to do a sweep of the house for their things & messes.

If you are not sure about what this SMART habit thing is all about, go here. I am really grateful to Lara, for starting this whole thing. Right now would be about the time, that I start easing off on the habits/goals I made in January. Life would get busy and stressful and I would fall back to my old wicked ways. But not this year!! I like feeling accountable and having a place to post my progress. Even though my ultimate motivation is to help myself, it is nice to know that someone out there is rooting for me to accomplish my goals.

Read about more SMART habit goals here.

4 comments:

The Lazy Organizer said...

I'm usually too tired to pick up at night as well. I need to make an effort to have the kids do it before they go to bed. We'll see if I can make it happen tonight!

Good job with your wonderful habits and have a great week!

An Ordinary Mom said...

It sounds like you are creating many a good habit. I love going to bed earlier - it has helped me to feel better and happier during the days. I notice this even more today because I got to bad late last night and boy I am cranky today!

Good luck on putting your house to bed at night. I have to do that, I think it helps me sleep better!

Have a great Valentine's Week!

Misslionheart said...

I pick up as I'm telling the girls to go to bed! Takes about 5 mins in the lounge to pick up their things, straighten the throws and cushions, pull down the blinds and light the fire. Hubby comes in then and kicks off his shoes, hogs the t.v. and downs a few beers. He tidies up after himself before we go to bed.

Jen said...

Great job on getting to bed so early! Hope your new habit of cleaning up before bed is going well. I plan on adding that one down the line once I master the ones I'm still trying to make habits.

Good luck!