Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day, part deux

Just wanted to blog about the rest of our fun Valentine's Day.

I got to help out at the 3rd Grade Valentine's Party. There was a clothes pin relay, a paper heart game where you transferred the hearts from a plate to a cup with a straw, a sweetheart guessing game and a Valentine madlib, made by yours truly.
Add a whole lotta sugar, including pink cupcakes and you've got the perfect party for 8 & 9 year olds.





After school it was a mad scramble to make our Valentine dinner. The kids asked at breakfast about eating somewhere else besides the kitchen. I had my hands full with the food preparations and so they accepted the challenge to get everything set up for our Heart Rock cafe. They made it a complete surprise for me and I wasn't allowed to come down until they finished every last detail.

J. made a huge heart out of wrapping paper and made a little paper sign indicating where the Valentine presents should be placed.




C. set the marquee on the kids' computer so it would be appropriate for our festivities. J. wanted to have all the candles out like we did that one year, all these beauties are actually in a box with some matches in case we would ever need them in case of a power outage. Troy did light all the candles. J. also created a beautiful tablescape complete with place cards.




They even came upstairs and brought all the food down.

We had:

Baked Ham
Cheesey Mashed Potatoes
Spinach Salad with dried cranberries, feta cheese and toasted pecans
Chocolate Fondue with marshmallows & strawberries



This is what I saw when I came in the room.



Dinner was excellent. I was so impressed by all the kids' hard work. Troy said they were looking up online for a quick craft to make as well.

The fondue, was one of the best parts- we all enjoyed it.






After dinner, we quickly opened up our Valentine treats before we had to leave to go to church for the night.

I was excited to get a Rachael Ray cookbook. Troy got a white shirt and a video. Sorry about the blurry photo- one of the kids snapped it. I missed out on getting one of Troy and I.




It really was a fun, fun night. I love my family so much!

3 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Okay, can I just say you are AMAZING! You are the mom that we are all trying to be and you make it look so easy. And your kids are darling. I love how they took matters into their own hands and created the perfect atmosphere for your dinner. You and your husband are definitely raising your kids right. I am so glad you had such a wonderful holiday.

Pretty please can I be invited to the next event ... salad with pecans, cranberries and feta cheese, how did you know that was my favorite? And chocolate fondue? I will be looking forward to my invitation :) !?!?

Andrea said...

I second everything an ordinary mom said. Wow. Looks like a great party.

Rosie said...

What a fun day you had!

I enjoyed looking at the last few entries. Yes I think that you have a thoughtful husband. Mine has given me my vitamins before, I need to get him to do it again! Enjoy him, you have to when you get one of the good ones