Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday- Love, Sweet, Love Edition

I am so excited about this week's edition of Works For Me Wednesday. Shannon, at Rocks in My Dryer, requested relationship advice and fun Valentine ideas.

When my boys were little and I was home all day with them, I thought how wonderful it would be to have some big huge romantic surprise on Valentine's Day. And frankly, reality never quite lived up to my expectations. So, I learned to just get over that and make Valentine's special for those around me. What I found out was doing something for someone else makes me feel a whole lot better than, being surprised myself.

Every year on Valentine's Day, I plan a special dinner. The fun part comes in not serving it at the kitchen table.

The first year I did this, we lived in our old house, and I suprised everyone with dinner down in the basement. I put a big blanket up over the doorway and they weren't allowed to come in until I told them. I put up a big sign that said Heart Rock Cafe. The kids just thought that was the coolest thing ever to eat downstairs!




Another year we had dinner using the hideabed as our table. Everyone was invited to dinner in their pajamas(red ones, if they had them) and we watched Bedknobs & Broomsticks together after dinner.




Our first year in our house now, we had dinner in our storage room downstairs, I lit every single candle I could find and put up blankets and tableclothes to hide the boxes. I think this year we had heart shaped pizzas for dinner.




Another year, we did actually eat dinner by candlelight at our kitchen table, but then we had a scavenger hunt to find their valentine presents. Our boys were just getting into reading and so this was an especially fun activity for them.




Last year, we were in our family room downstairs. I put a heart in the middle of a bullseye on the wall and the kids shot their nerf guns at it. We had pink milk with our dinner and dirt cups with worms for dessert. You can read more about it here.



I am not quite exactly sure of what I am going to do this year. I do know, I am making up some coupons for my kids. I think they are going really going to like the ones that they can turn in to redeem a free dishwasher unload or a homemade lunch from Mom. We got a fondue pot for Christmas and so we will have strawberries, marshmallows, pretzels and maybe even pound cake to dip in the chocolate.

I guess I don't really even think it matters what you do, just that you try and make it fun. I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful Valentine's Day! Don't forget to check out lots of other fun ideas at Rocks in My Dryer.

PS. Sorry for the cruddy scans. Don't forget you can click on the pictures to see them a little better.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Great great post. I love all the different places around your house to have special dinners. I'm going to implement the basement one for our Valentine's dinner. Thanks for sharing!

Nikki ALL OUT Valentine's Day

Larae said...

Wow, it looks like you & your family have enjoyed lots of WONDERFUL Valentine's Day celebrations together! Everything sounds amazing, I'll have to keep them in mind. Thanks for sharing, Happy Valentine's Day! =)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I have kind of given up the element of wanting to be surprised as well and I have not turned it into a family holiday. I love the way you have dinner in a different place every year. So creative!