Monday, January 28, 2008

We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet


Gordon B. Hinckley, our dear prophet and president of the church passed away last night. Of course, since hearing the news, I've been reflecting much on this wonderful man of God and his influence over my life.

I shook his hand as a young girl while attending the City of Nauvoo pageant. I didn't know then how much I would grow to love his sense of humor, his optimism and his guidance in my life.

When I was in college, I went to my first live session of General Conference. Sitting in the hard benches of the tabernacle balcony, I heard President Hinckley give his talk Mormon Should Mean More Good.

When Jameson was just a few weeks old, we attended the Mormon Batallion Renenactment in Council Bluffs, Iowa where President Hinckley was a featured speaker. We were a few hundred feet back from him, but what an awesome thing it was to be in the presence of a prophet of God as we celebrated the rich heritage of our church.

I have often thought about the peace and reassurance I felt after 9-11 rocked our world, as President Hinckley spoke shortly following that event.

I remember growing up, so often at General Conference President Kimball or President Benson were often absent from the sessions due to health reasons. What a blessing it has been to have a prophet who has been such a presence in conferences as well as throughout the world. His travel schedule was mind boggling, at the age of 95 he made a 25,000 mile trip around the world to visit the saints.

Every day I walk by his 6 "B's".

One of my favorite stories about his life was this: While he was on his mission living in a very ordinary neighborhood at 15 Wadham Place in Preston, England, he wrote home saying that he was wasting his time and his parents’ money.

His father wrote back, “Dear Gordon, I have your letter…I have only one suggestion: Forget yourself and go to work.”

Then, President Hinckley said, “I got on my knees in that little bedroom…and made a pledge that I would try to give myself unto the Lord.

“The whole world changed. The fog lifted. The sun began to shine in my life…Everything that has happened to me since, that’s been good, I can trace to that decision made in that little house.”

I guess I could go on and on about all the ways he has affected my life, but dishes and laundry should probably be attended to. The fact of the matter is, he was an incredible man who was indeed, a prophet of God and I am so thankful for his service to the Lord!

4 comments:

Amber M. said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiufl thoughts, Kristi. The kids have taken the news hard. Tony and I are so grateful for the knowlegde that he is once again united with his sweetheart.

Andrea said...

Love your thoughts.
He sure will be missed.

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a beautiful tribute. He will surely be missed.

Jandi said...

Thanks for your thoughts and reflections! I was excited to see someone else posting about the loss of such a great prophet. He definitely left a great legacy.