Thursday, October 30, 2008

Love Adds Chocolate

Last night I got home from my Enrichment Committee Planning meeting and started scouring the internet for fun chocolate sayings and quotes, since we are going to put together a little chocolate cookbook at our next Enrichment Activity. I had trouble finding what I was looking for and then I remembered that I had something all along that would be perfect for what we are doing.

Several years back my good friend Kassie made this adorable tag. The message on the inside of the tag is even better!


Money, of course, can buld a charming house,
but only Love can furnish it with a feeling of home.
Duty can pack an adequate sack lunch,
but Love may decide to enclose a little note inside.
Money can provide a TV,
but Love controls it and cares enough to say 'no'
and take the guff that comes with it.
Obligation sends the children to bed on time,
but Love tucks the covers in around their necks
and passes out the kisses and hugs. (even to teenagers)
Obligation can cook a meal,
but Love embellishes the table with a potted ivy
trailing around slender candles.
Duty writs many letters,
but Love adds a joke or a picture or a stick of gum inside.
Compulsion keeps a sparkling house,
but Love and Prayer stand a better chance
of producing a happy family.
Duty gets offended quickly if it isn't appreciated
but Love learns to laugh a lot
and to work for the sheer joy of doing it.
Obligation can pour a glass of milk, but quite often,
Love adds a little chocolate.


I did a search and found this book online that it must have come from.

I needed this reminder today. We got a late start to our morning and when that happens we are all grumpy and a little stressed. I hate sending my kids off to school with that start to their day. I know a lot of how their morning goes is dependent on me and my own attitude. First thing I need to do is start getting up before them. I am also considering trying an experiment one of my friends did where she made her kids a hot breakfast every morning before school. She said it really made a difference to her kids- there was less fighting and more unity. I am willing to give anything a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

At Home In Georgia said...

Wow! What a neat thing your friend made. I LOVE that story. Wouldn't that look cute in a frame or something somewhere in a kitchen. I would love to see the chocolate book after you make them. Have fun.

At Home In Georgia said...

And, I think to put the negatives on disk was 20 cents a picture.

Lorilee said...

I really like that!! That would be great for February VT gifts.

Andrea said...

hmmm. chocolate.
Great idea for the hot breakfast. hope it works great.

Amber M. said...

I love this entire post. GREAT idea.

Are you the new enrichment leader? Why did I not know this??

Kassie said...

Kristi,
I thought that thing looked familiar!
I need to reread that quote and try adding a bit more 'chocolate' to our lives as well. Thanks for the reminder.

beckbot said...

Another reason for hot breakfasts whenever you can make them: the cafeteria is often not very conducive to eating lunch! When I saw how little time my boys have to eat and how distracted they are in there, I made a commitment to get up and cook. Not everything is from scratch, but there's always some protein and usually whole grains. Not orange juice, though (like you guys, we just don't like OJ much).