Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sewing Stuff

As many of you know I am a collector. I've got a lot of fabric. More than I'll ever probably be able to use. But I can't help it, especially at garage sale and thrift store prices, how can I pass up something so cute that has the potential to be something even more wonderful?

A few years ago Troy got me a sewing machine for my birthday. I didn't have the heart to tell him at the time I really wanted it so I could sew on my cards and scrapbook pages. Thank goodness I have learned that sewing other stuff can be a lot of fun, too.

Here are some of the projects I've been working on lately:

Genna has grown 2 inches since April, but the hand me down size 7 jeans from her cousin Hannah are still quite a bit too long, so I've been working on them.


I went to a quilting party last Saturday for Relief Society. I got a box full of squares and I spent a few hours figuring out a pattern with the fabric available. I feel badly that I didn't contribute anything besides my sewing machine, to what they got done that day. But I've been working hard here at home to be ready for the next quilting day. We're going to donate the quilts to some local organizations.


My own vintage sheet quilt is still sitting, not cut out yet. I realize that's why- I just need to suck it up and get the squares done. However, cutting is my least favorite part- I am not really good at getting it straight. But working on the gingham quilt is making me anxious to get back to working on my own quilt.



A while back, I did a vintage sheet swap that Crafty Little Beana hosted. There were some really fun fabrics I'd never seen before and some that I already had in my collection. I hope I can incorporate a few of them into my quilt.

Last but not least, I finished up this ugly little pumpkinhead guy. I didn't really like how his smile turned out- but maybe he works for the "so ugly, it's cute" category.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Great job. I don't own a sewing machine. I love quilts though. Can't wait to see your vintage one.

Amber M. said...

I've been sewing up a storm, too! Tis the season, I think.

You need to get a rotary cutter and mat...it makes cutting the FUN part of quilting! They're on sale a ton at JoAnns.

teresa said...

Cute sewing projects! I really do like your "ugly" pumpkin! Can't wait to see the vintage sheet quilt :)

Carin said...

Kristi I can't wait to see what you do with the vintage sheets!

At Home In Georgia said...

That pumpkin is way cute! Good luck on the quilts...I am right behind you.

melissa said...

Can you come to my house and sew?? I am "sew" challenged. I love your pumpkin as well~the quilt is going to be so cute too!

Kristi said...

I covet your mad sewing skills! I'm interested, but too impatient to be seamstress. sigh...

Love Mr. Pumpkin! He's very primitive looking.

JenniferB said...

Pumpkinhead is adorable! You are hilarious -- and you are doing a good job sewing those squares together. I'll be happy to help cut squares for you, one of these days.

Lorilee said...

I'm right there with you on being a collector! I can't wait to see all your finished projects. Love the pumpkin.