Thursday, January 18, 2007

Beating the Winter Blahs

It was a gray & cold morning here. I really would have liked to curl up with a good book and snuggle under the covers. But on Tuesday, I started on my storage room. Troy helped and we put things in the family room- to make room while we were organizing. They are mostly still all there today. Since the family room also doubles as the boys' basketball arena, you can imagine how our nice, neat piles now look. The mess and the weight of that huge to do was hanging over my head was not contributing to a happy mood.

But after picking Genna up from preschool, I decided I need to do something to lift my spirits. We needed to eat lunch and I wanted to spend some time with my sweet little girl, so we decided to have a picnic in the family room. There was a small spot we could fit a blanket. We had a fun time- even preparing the food. It was nothing special- but eating a sandwich somewhere besides the table- is always more fun. We told stories while eating lunch. This is something we like to do while we are in the car or getting ready in the morning. Genna comes up with some good ones. Today's was about a boy whose parents died who went to live with his grandparents by the ocean. He met a baby shark(who didn't have any teeth) and his grandparents decided they'd always needed a baby shark in the family. They had all sorts of adventures together. It got a little scary when the baby sharks parents' came back to get him, but luckily they all had swimming suits that turned them into mermaids, so they could go visiting underwater.




After a few more stories, some chocolate quik and some tickles, I was finally in the right mood to tackle the storage room. I decided to start with the books that have never been unpacked from their boxes even though we've lived here for over 3 years. They now have a home on a bookshelf we got from my parents. It feels so great to get rid of those 6 boxes that were taking up quite a bit of space.



I still have a pretty big mess to deal with- but I feel good about doing the books, when I really felt like doing nothing. Still to do:

*find a place for the luggage
*organize all the church stuff- I am thinking a file cabinet would work best for this
*build shelves & organize our food & water storage
*reorganize my wrapping box that has spilled it's contents
*put back our 72 hour kits
*carry the garage sale & garbage stuff out to the garage(that's another task, for another day0 the carrying out, not the garage
*and last but certainly not least- tackle this mess of memorabilia, photos, etc.




Yikes, that is scary. I am only posting this for some accountability. There are several boxes of just photo albums- but besides that there are a lot of papers, etc. that I need to organize or get rid of.

2 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I love how you spent time with the kids first, put yourself in a better mood and then tackled a big project! I need to do that more often. Sometimes when I am feeling grouchy I often neglect the kids, but I think if I took your approach I would feel much better. Thanks for the insight!

Good luck on organizing all your photo stuff!

Kristi said...

Thanks for the nice comment. I tend to escape into my office when I am feeling stressed or crabby- but I did feel so much better after doing something fun with Genna!