Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday

It took me all day long to figure out something I could share for Works for Me Wednesday. And maybe some of you won't find this helpful. But I am pretty passionate right now about making sure my home and family is prepared for a disaster situation- whether that be a power outage or pandemic flu.

From the Red Cross website:

Having an ample supply of clean water is a top priority in an emergency. A normally active person needs to drink at least two quarts of water each day. Hot environments can double that amount. Children, nursing mothers and ill people will need even more. You will also need water for food preparation and hygiene. Store a total of at least one gallon per person, per day. You should store at least a two-week supply of water for each member of your family.

So, with that said, here is my tip. When you get done drinking a bottle of pop or gallon of juice- wash out the container and fill it back up with water.





After you have it filled up again, take a permanent marker and put the date on it. Water should be switched out every 6-9 months. Drinking water that is. I actually have a few jugs that I filled up several years ago. Am I going to refill them with clean water now? No, because I figure I could use them for washing or purify them if I would have a need for more drinking water.

One thing to note, they don't recommend you using milk cartons to store water, they don't seal well and leak after a while. We don't actually drink a lot of juice or pop around here, but usually on the holidays or if there are good sales we will have that kind of stuff around and I just wash and fill them up then.

Hope this is helpful for someone. For more tips, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! One of my goald this year is to be better prepared. Would love to hear where you store the bottles.

Larae said...

Great idea! I'm definitely going to start doing this. Thanks for sharing =)

Nikki said...

I've got my food storage and my 72-hour kits, but I really need to work on water storage. Thanks for this post!