Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Healthy Choices

Over at Rocks in my Dryer, Shannon is hosting a healthy eating edition of Works for Me Wednesday and I thought I'd play along.

Something I've been doing lately is to have more healthy choices readily available. I bought big bags of apples & oranges and set them on my counter. I also have been cutting celery(instead of letting it wilt in my crisper). I even put a few sticks in a baggy with a small container of peanut butter for easy access. For some reason, you stick things in individual containers/baggies and my kids will eat them so much better than if they have to open up the container with the celery sticks, etc.





Despite my best efforts, this is what I found when I came upstairs today.



The other thing I did today, that I've been needing to do for a while now is to grind some wheat. Using whole wheat flour in the place of white flour or at least some of the white flour, really adds a lot of fiber and nutrition to your diet. My Mom scored an awesome deal on this wheat grinder at a consignment shop several years back and she so kindly lets me use it. Now I don't love whole wheat for everything, but I can add it to most things I bake and no one complains about the outcome.






Last but not least here is my healthy recipe, that is very kid friendly and much more health conscious than the frozen kind you get at the store even. These can be prepared immediately or it works great to freeze them before you bake them as well. I did these when we did our OAMC. I found this recipe at recipezaar- you can find anything there.

Chicken Strips
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
3 cups crushed cornflakes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. ranch dressing(can use light version)
2 T. water- to thin ranch out

I cut the chicken breasts into strips when they are just thawed out enough to run my knife through. It is easier to handle when it is not quite so gooey. Crush up the cornflakes into as small of pieces as you can. Run them through a food processor, or double bag them and let your kids stomp all over them. You might need to get out the rolling pin to really get them fine. Mix water and ranch dressing. You could add hot sauce to this mixture as well, if you like it hot.

Dip each strip into the ranch mixture and then pop into the baggy full of cornflakes. Coat evenly and lay to rest on cookie sheet(lined with wax paper if you are freezing). If you are going to freeze these- do so for about 2 hours or until they are very firm. Then you can place them in a larger bag and take out what you need.

Bake these at 425 for about 18 to 20 minutes. Serve with homemade honey mustard sauce or whatever you like to dip your chicken strips in. We really like these, they turn out nice and crispy without any frying.

2 comments:

Tour de Life said...

Thanks! Sounds good! I am definitely adding it to my recipe book!

Amy said...

I need to do the celery thing. It's not just kids who are more likely to grab for the convenience foods!