Friday, January 12, 2007

If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear

Boy, I love that scripture. With the recent ice storms here in Nebraska that have left so many without power, and all the talk of the coming pandemic flu, I'll admit I had worked myself into a little frenzy. After attending a Preparedness Night at church tonight, I find myself calmed, but ready to take some action.

Our speaker(Alan Williams) tonight was so refreshing. I really felt like I learned so much and when he cut off his portion of the talk at 8:45, I was a little bummed, I could have listened much longer. He talked about 3 main areas

1)getting prepared at home-can you sustain life in your house for 2 weeks? This concerns food, water, medicine, warmth, etc.

2)having an emergency kit in the car- especially necessary for those who travel a lot. This includes food, water, warm blankets, hats,& gloves, etc. (This one really hit me tonight after reflecting on the couple who got stranded in their car in Oregon)

3)an emergency move kit that would help you for about 72 hours. Areas to cover in the kit would be warmth, food, water, toiletry, sleeping and entertainment. This was probably the area we spent the most time talking about.

The thing I really liked about our discussion tonight was a focus on that one list for these kits does not fit all. My families' needs are different than yours. there are lots of lists out there. Check out the Red Cross for some guidelines. But just remember to taylor the kits to YOUR needs. Places you might need to evacuate to: schools, armories, or other large gymnasiums.

It was really fun tonight too, because he did some hands on things. He opened up one of those silver emergency blankets and asked a gentleman(Coy) to come and cover up with it and then had him sit up against the window for a few moments. It was hard for Coy to really get covered up and it did nothing to protect against the cold surface. Now Brother Williams wasn't trying to get us to all throw away our emergency blankets, but he wanted to point out that for a small child, they could probably wrap up tightly, but most adults would have areas where drafts would be able to get in and let body heat out. He showed us how a heavy duty carpenter trash bag could be effective. Just cut a small opening for your head and pull it over. Troy was actually the model for this one and I was too busy watching, I forgot to snap a picture. The bag easily came down to his knees and was tight but not uncomfortable around his neck- drastically reducing drafts to the majority of the body. You could easily use another bag potato sack race style and elminate all drafts.

As far as the hard cold surface, we have some blankets and sheets in our 72 hour kits, but I never thought of the prospect of sleeping on a cold cement floor for 3 days. A pad would be useful in this case. Even one of those cheap inflatable air rafts for the pool would do the trick.



Several people brought displays to show items from their 72 hour kits or home storage. I prepared the one on water storage. They recommend you have 1 gallon per person, per day with a two week supply.






I hope I haven't bored you to tears. I just know that this is something very important that I need to do in my life. I am going to make my Smart Goal this week to get a kit together for my car and then work on cleaning my storage room where our 72 hr kits are stored. The storage room part might take more than this week, but it will be a start, right?

Progress on last week's goal of getting fit went pretty well. I think not expecting perfection from myself has helped me relax with this goal. I drank my 64oz. of water every day, I exercised every day this week and I have abstained from eating after dinner. I haven't made huge progress on the scale, but I think that I am definitely starting to establish good habits that will last even when the scale is where I want it to be.

9 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Sounds like you did a great job with your healthy goals from last week! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the tips you shared about emergency preparedness. I need to get more on top of that ... thanks for the reminder!

becky said...

Well, sounds like you are off to a good start! Congratulations! I so need to have some emergency packs at the ready. Thank you for sharing your tips and ideas with that! And, good luck with your *habits*!!!

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing all that information about emergency preparedness. I am going to bookmark this for future reference.

Great job on last week's habit. You should be proud of yourself for all you accomplished. I don't think I could ever not eat after dinner. I love my evening snack! I'll actually skip an afternoon snack to save points for the evening.

Kara said...

Great job on last week's goal! And thanks for the kit info, I really should do those too.

Kassie said...

Lots to think about Kristi! I have been thinking a lot about preparedness lately myself. I think having a car kit is a great idea and I need to figure out what we would need for one. Great job on keeping to your weekly habits. I'm with Jen, I can't not eat after dinner. I always save up and have my FF, SF pudding for an eveing snack....

The Lynn/Coon Family said...

Good job with your goals from last week! And you have a great goal for this week!

Have a good one!

On the Journey to Victory said...

Great job with getting fit & sticking to your goals.

What great information you shared about prepared kits! Thanks for sharing. I needed that information.

~Betty~

The Lazy Organizer said...

Great job working out last week! And going to bed without a snack is more than I can do so I am impressed.

Have fun getting prepared this week. We all need work in this area I'm sure. I have put it off for the last few years because I knew we were moving but now we've moved and I'm still not doing it because our basement is having flooding problems!

Kristi said...

Thanks guys!!