Thursday, January 11, 2007

Shooting Stars

Ok, well this title is maybe a bit of a stretch, but it's the best connection I could come up with after subbing in the 6th grade today.

I have a special place in my heart for astronomy. If there wasn't so much math involved, I seriously would have considered becoming an astronomer. One of my most memorable classes at BYU was Astronomy by Dr. Taylor. Jameson has been wanted to see a comet for a while now. We told him about the Hale-Bopp comet that we saw when he was 10 months old and I mentioned how I got to go out very late at night on a school night to see Halley's Comet. So, when Troy told us that there was a comet visible this week, we were all excited at the prospect. We went out around sunrise without any luck. I am sure my neighbor driving by wondered what was up when I went outside in my pj's with a pair of binoculars, I don't know if the fact that Connor was nearby with his telescope helped or not. Anyway, Troy called and reminded me last night to look at sunset yesterday because it was going to be one of the most optimum times to see it. We all rushed into the car and drove out into the country. It was a bit confusing for the boys because the sun had lit up several jet exhaust streams and they sort of looked cometish. But we were thrilled to actually see it once we got up high enough. It was so fleeting however, if we had waited 10 minutes to go, we would have missed it. Jameson wanted to make sure he wrote down the date on the picture I printed, so he could remember this event for the rest of his life.



Here's where the stretch comes in. I neglected to share any photos of last weekend's sports extravaganza. Jameson and Connor had basketball games and a free throw contest and Genna had tumbling. I didn't get very many good pictures of them, it is tough lighting wise in the areas where they play. But without further ado here are my little stars...



3 comments:

Rosie said...

NO excuse is ever needed to show cute pictures of kids! Way to go with subbing! 6th graders are really big kids, with much attitude!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Fun pictures. That is awesome that you got to see the comet. My little girl would have loved to see it!

Minh Bennett said...

Hi Christy,
I am so glad that you dropped a commend in my blog so I can trace it to yours.
It's so nice to hear from you and to read your blog. I showed it to Joe and we read it together. We surely miss your family a lot. I wish we did things with each others when we were in Lincoln.

The comet viewing thing was so cool. It's a nice picture you have there. Our used to drive to the country looking at stars when we were in Lincoln also. We can't see stars in Chicago too much light from the city.

Joe and the kids found some strange "rock" while they were out for a walk in the forest preserve. It could be a meteorite. I will have to take pictures of it and post it in my blog.

Any way, it's very nice to read about your family and see the pictures.

Good luck with your newyear resolution. Please keep in touch :-)

Minh

Minh