Saturday, January 27, 2007

SMART Saturday

I have just a few minutes here at the computer, as Troy and I are heading to the temple tonight. I am hoping the mucinex I just took, kicks in soon and my ear won't be plugged up anymore.

I actually just got back from visiting teaching and the message this month was just awesome! Here is my favorite quote by Bonnie Parkin:
"The Lord has touched my spirit time and again, and more often than not, His touch has reached me through the hand of a friend. . . . Perhaps [we] would feel more of His love if [we] looked for His hand in the actions of those who care for [us]. . . . God knows the needs of His children, and He often works through us, prompting us to help one another. When we act on such promptings, we tread on holy ground, for we are allowed the opportunity to serve as an agent of God in answering a prayer"
Wow, I don't even think I need to comment.

I will blog tomorrow about Connor's sleepover birthday party and the hockey game- so stay tuned!!

Without further ado, let's talk about my SMART goal. Last week (errr. I guess it was really only on Monday, since I was so late in posting), I decided I wanted to work on the organizing the kids school work. I did indeed work on that and I think I have it to a manageable place, but not yet how I would like it.

Here's what I had to work with. The white garbage bag was actually sort of organized into years. But papers were hanging out, not folded right.



I went ahead and purged a large grocery bag full of stuff from the pile and then organized it into some old scrapbook folders that I had laying around. I threw away anything with glitter or large amounts of glue. There is a folder for every school year. I would like to put these into binders with page protectors eventually. Next time I go to Sam's or Hobby Lobby, I will pick some up and finish up this project.

Here are Jameson's 1st-3rd grade years and Connor's K-2nd grade years.


Here are the folder's for their current year. This file drawer is in our kitchen rigth by where they deposit all their papers.


Eventually, I would also like to frame a few select pieces of their artwork.

Ok, so onto the challenge for this next week. I really want to get to bed earlier. So, my goal is to be in bed by 11:00- hopefully asleep by 11:30. I need to get to the library this week too- I haven't been since before Christmas and I have been so itchy to get there. I know this will help me do a better job of getting up earlier, which means, exercising earlier and just being an all around happier person.

If you aren't sure what the SMART thing is go here. I know it has really helped me. I seriously would have blown off the artwork this week, had I not felt a sense of accountability. So, thanks again, Lara!!

6 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Kristi, it definitely looks like you are making a lot of progress. There is only so much we can do in one week when we still have so many things to attend to. Keep plugging away at it and I am sure it will get done soon.

Good luck on going to bed earlier. I am still working on making that a habit and it is slowly getting there. I find myself being able to wake up earlier now and I am definitely a happier person!

Have fun at the library!

Tour de Life said...

I love that message! Thanks for sharing!

Kassie said...

Great job on that loverly task Kristi. I swear that school papers and artwork breeds like rabbits. Leave 'em alone and the next thing you know, there are 10 times as many as there were to start. LOL!

The Lynn/Coon Family said...

Good job on your goals last week! You did great and they look great! Good luck on the going to bed earlier. I have bucked that for years (except when pregnant, like now, when I just fall over in the evening!) I hope you do well!

Andrea said...

Wow. You sure completed a lot. Looks great. Hope you get to bed earlier. I need that as a goal soon I think, so can't wait to read your update on how it goes and any tips.

beckbot said...

Oh, dear, how school papers do take over our lives! And I only have one in school. Be sure not to invite too much help from the school-goer, as he or she may find a sudden sentimental attachment to every last math worksheet.

That Visiting Teaching quote was my favorite too. I loved the part about "holy ground."